Monday 31 July 2006

Oxegen Festival - 8th & 9th July 06 - About 4 weeks overdue!


Made my way to Ireland by train and left a beautifully sunny and warm UK behind. 
Was met at the boat by Mick and we arrived at Punchestown Racecourse on the Friday night to set up camp.  Have you ever tried to pitch a new tent in the dark?   This was not easy and not helped much by the winds, but we got there in the end.  Sleeping of course was not possible with 14 year olds setting fire to tents and lots of drunk people, well I expected the drunk people.

Woke up following morning cold, tired and aching after very uncomfortable night's almost sleep.  But after some breakfast felt a bit more human.  We made our way to the Arena and first up was Sandi Thom on the Main Stage.  This was quite a surreal moment for me as it was packed and I remember when Sandi's gigs were really intimate.

During Sandi's performance the heavens opened up and it was raining horizontally with gale forced winds at the same time.  So we headed indoors and the New Band Stage won for me.  Where I caught a very lively performance of Paulo Nutini which was first time I have seen this young Scotsman.  He was described to me as the Scotish James Blunt only less depressing.  I thoroughly enjoyed this and was almost happy the rain drove me inside.

Next up was The Upper Room whom I saw a few times when Newsum Turn were supporting them on the last tour.  I do like the music and it was nice to hear something familiar.  The lads went down well in their first Irish performance.

Now the next band was called Fear of Music and what an apt name.  They obviously had a fear as they were not making any music...ooh I am such a biatch!!

I am now poised up front and waiting for the highlight of the festival. Never more delighted that these guys are not on the Main Stage (outside) where they belong.  The Crimea came on stage and it was bloody amazing.  I was singing to every song.  "Opposite Ends" was a really great start to the set, this was followed by their cover of Fleetwood Mac and I love "Everywhere" anyway.  Ok we had "Baby Boom", "White Russian Galaxy", and a supremely emotional version of "Opposite Ends" it made me come over all emotional.  I got a set list too which made me very happy.
Not sure what happened in this pic, but it looks kind of cool :o)

I think myspace is thinking of crashing....it did but I won this time - so I will carry on.
Next up were a nice treat in the shape of The Maccabees, not the kind of thing I would usually like but it was great and thorougly entertaining.  The leadsinger also wore a nice cardigan.

Not a huge fan of Lily Allen it was time to vacate and find something else.  Thus walking past the main stage with Hard Fi on it towards the Green Room.

Was gutted to find that Gomez was well into their set as I was really looking forward to them.  The place was so packed that you could not even see them.  We only managed to catch last couple of songs but thankfully they ended up with "Whipping Picadilly" which is an awesome song!

At that point I was so cold and soaked that I just wanted to go back to the tent.  We ended up buying 3 more blankets as I could not get warm.  The likes of The Strokes, James Brown and The Who sounded great from the tent.  I just could not get the will to face the elements again.

Day 2

God this is taking forever...lets just do pictures :o)

Bands I saw

Maximo Park, Manu Chao, Bell X1 (pic below)

Placebo, Gemma Hayes, Hope of the States (pic below)

Orson

Kaiser Chiefs

Franz Ferdinand

The Bedioun Soundclash (great surprise)

After this went on the Ferris Wheel and got some pics of campsite and stage before realising Paul Weller was on stage.

Paul Weller on the NME Stage was probably the best performance of the weekend for me as I have never been a huge fan but it was truly amazing. I did not recognise many of the songs but he is a true showman.  Hated the Style Council so was quite delighted he did not do any of the songs.  Loved "You do something to me" and he finished on "A Town Called Malice" .  Below is also my best picture of the festival. 

We then watched the last 20 minutes of The Red Hot Chilli Peppers on the Main Stage which included all the songs of theirs I knew so that was good, but also not a huge fan of theirs.  Why did it not rain the 2nd day instead??
Took some other photos including this one for spell mad Helen...

And this very artistic one....

No comments:

Post a Comment