Tuesday 3 October 2006

Censoredmania and other amazing bands....THIS WEEKEND!!! - 1 Oct 06


Well where does one start to describe this weekend of gigs?

We started off on Friday night at the Vic Inn in Derby and I have never seen the place so packed before.  We had 148 through the door (just two short of capacity). 

Lets talk about what matters thought - GREAT LIVE MUSIC.  We kicked amazing weekend off with The Burt Bacharak Fight Club who have a great range of entertaining pop songs - such great performers.

They were followed by The Crooks, who as always were outstanding, they just seem to get better and better each time I see them.

We then had London band Zamorano who were a huge favourite with the crowd and their mixture of anthemic and acoustic songs went down a treat.

Censored ended up headlining due to withdrawel of headline band and they truly rocked the Vic Inn.  Opening with classic (yes classic to me) "Your Eyes are Made of Gold" and we also really loved "Time on my Hands".

This great night in the Vic set us up perfectly for the inaugural night at Junktion 7 of The Great Escape.  I am getting tired now so will just mention the amazing line up of bands that played.  Each and everyone gave it their all and played to rapturous applause from a really special crowd at Junktion 7.

Mint Ive (or Ivy as Matt called them) acoustic opening set was amazing and I so looking forward to hearing the full band effect.  They were follwed by The Displacements who we briefly saw at Summer Sunday.  Another top band giving their all but I think they have definitely found a new friend in Helen.  Hollo-who?

The Four Last Things were next on the bill and again they did not disappoint.  As always a bit of a dark sound, but with the most amazing guitar rifts ever.  Not to mention the newly smily front man :o)  Love em, love em love em!

*NOTE TO SELF NEVER LEAVE OUT STARSCREEN AGAIN*

Ok so its the turn of Starscreen whom I have seen a few times before and the guys always put in a great performance.  Gutted to have missed most their set including their cover of Censored song, but I have heard nothing but praise from everyone who saw these guys. 

Also best bit of my Starscreen experience (apart from the music) is that I finally got Scott to give me a proper hug!!!  Victory is mine...

Now Censoredmainia has fully kicked in and the Censored Barmy Army are shouting for their band.  The atmosphere is indescribable at this time and everyone in the joint is enjoying it. I don't remember the song order but I remember an encore of "When You Come Along" great gig indeed!  I felt very proud and honoured that these guys were so fab and helped immensely to pull off such a special night spectacularly.  Next Great Escape night is 25th October - make sure you don't miss another epic!

Now having just returned from the Firebug in Leicester and probably my favourite gig of the weekend.  I was less stressed tonight and with the help of some West Country Cider managed to relax and really enjoy all the bands that were on.

We opened with Wayne Ridgway whom played for me first time round at 10 bands 10 hours gig in Nottingham in January.  Was a great set and started off the night in fine fashion.

Next up were Subjects of The City whom I only discovered one month ago actully in the Firebug, well the guitarist was there that night.  I must say I do not think the myspace tracks did them any favours and really very much enjoyed the live stuff, so if you are not sure go and check them out live!

More Censored after this and my favourite set of the weekend.  To say that Censored blew the crowd away tonight is putting it mildly.  I can safely say there is many a fan made at this gig tonight.  Immense boys immense!!!

The Four Last Things were on next and again were outstanding.  I can see much more to come from these guys and I am quite excited about the future.

We finished the night with Fazed whom I saw first time supporting the one and only Story One at the Charlotte earlier this year (or was it last year?).  Anyway they were tremendous and loved them all esp the "Calm" one :o)  Also loved the "Ever Fallen in Love" cover, but then again I was a little drunk at this point.

Its been a weekend of strange happenings which has left me a tad confused.  There seems to be more men around then I know what to do with (I think its feremones of some description), we seemed to have inherited two 23 year old stalkers (or maybe just hard core groupies), had a song dedicated to the Flowerpot and I check track no 2 here and after consuming an alarming amount of alcohol, I finally managed to get drunk on the last night of this weekend on a mere 6 pints of Cider.

I want to thanks all the bands who played this weekend but especially my favourite young men Censored.  If  you don't know who they are yet, check them out but do make sure you remember where you heard them first, as they are gonna be mega huge!!!  I love you guys :o)

To the hard core groupies who made all 3 gigs this weekend... I will try and remember who you all are.  Helen, Flowerpot, Paul, Jamie and Censored parents.  Thanks you are all truly special.

What is left to say??  Thanks to all the people who came out this weekend, and if you enjoyed The Great Escape or any of the other nights, make sure to leave a comment and tell us your thoughts.

See you all on 25th October, I will announce line up tomorrow.

I think I will sleep well tonight, please come see me Weds at Junktion 7 for my Oxjam gig...go on....its Charidee!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment