Tuesday 6 December 2005

Rufus Wainwright - Sheffield City Hall - 3rd Dec 05


Having just got home like the dirty stop out I am, the first thing I want to do is share with you my amazing experience with Rufus last night.

There were a few humbling moments in the show and this started off with the support act the Guillemots.  What a voice!!  Shades of Bono at times but the music was quite diverse and a very interesting use of strange instruments.  When they performed their new single "Trains to Brazil" it was pretty amazing.  Definitely ones to watch out for -Guillemots Website

Then came Rufus opened up with his band and sang "Oh What a World" then completely blew me away with a wonderful rendition of "No Kidding".  This was most definitely a goosepimply emotional moment.  He continued to do that and played a new song (very tongue in cheek) called "Between my legs"....lyrics being..."....and I shed a tear between my legs" :o)
Towards the end Rufus and the band disappeared and came back dressed in Togas and did some dancing and this was by far one of the funniest things I have ever seen.  Rufus' Toga was then removed and he then performed the amazing "Gay Messiah" complete with cross and crossdressing!

Rufus came back on for his encore and sang my favourite song "Hallelujah" and again I was moved - wow!  Sang a couple more songs and then in a very "self-deprecating" manner bid the crowd goodnight.  But nobody was going anywhere and after the 3rd standing ovation of the night Rufus came back on.

He then sang "Complainte De La Butte" which was recorded for the Moulin Rouge soundtrack - well he is Canadian!  The night was finished off in superb style by his own favourite "Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk"

What a Man - What a Voice!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment