Wednesday 7 June 2006

Goo Goo Dolls 2 x Birmingham and London - last week sometime


On Thursday Flowerpot and I had tickets to see the Goo Goo Dolls in Birmingham and the pair of us had been well excited about this for some time.

Easiest venue ever to find and we got in there to a packed Academy but I spotted a seat right at the back so sat down, obviously with the intention of standing up once Goo Goo Dolls came on stage.

For the life of me I don't remember the support band's name, even though I saw them twice, well that just says it all really doesn't it?

We stood up to opening song and first track off new album "I'll Stay with You" and that was great start to the show, as its one of the ones I love.  This was followed by "Slide" and I remember Flowerpot saying that we can go home now.  She likes that song mostly because of this video we have of the Goo Goo Dolls doing a song with Elmo and it uses same tune but the song is called "Pride" and it only comes out when we are drunk.  Those of you who have been to dinner party here will no doubt know it fondly...

Ok they practically played everything off the new "Let Love In" album but we were treated to a good few oldies too including "Smash", "Black Balloon", "Big Machine", amazing Saxophone solo in "Broadway", my favourite "January Friend" and of course not to mention the huge classic "Iris" which was one of those major crowd participating moments of course.  They finished their set with "Let Love In" and encore consisted of the song of the night for me and I actually cried "Become" you must listen to its fabulous :o) The goo's finished a polished fun performance with their wonderful cover of the old Supertramp song "Give a Little Bit".

Wonderful night and of course with them not having toured for 10 years I just had to get my hand on a ticket to see them again and thats what we did on Saturday!  Did not realise that the tickets were in Brentwood (Essex) so had to drive via there to Brixton and ended up about 9 hour trip lol but it was worth it! 

The Goo's added a few songs to the list and we had awesome performance of "Name" too.  Plus Johnny Rzeznik was on top form and crowd banter was great including him taking pics of himself with someone's phone and wanting to phone their mother.  He claimed it was the only number on the phone.

Oh great venue with slanty floor although it aches the feet terribly but there is a Nando's opposite, so that is well worth the trip in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment