Sunday 9 April 2006

The Crimea From Russia with Love in their U-boat parked in Manchester Canal - 8 Apr 06


Well it was definately time for another road-trip and tonights did not disappoint.  Helen came around early and we first checked Myspace, listened to some music before watching the Grand National (I think my horse Lord of Illusion is still running) so much for number 13 eh???

Well as it happens 13 was lucky when we got to Manchester Academy as there was only 13 tickets left for the Crimea.  A wonderfully strange band whom I have neglected recently in favour of other bands (you know who you are).  We got our tickets and I have to tell you about Helen's swearing, I was absolutely appaled at the language - especially from HER!  I can understand it though when they expect you to wash your hands in a basin that looks like the Trevie Fountain.  I quote "This is fucking rediculous" - such a bad girl!
I will excuse Helen tonight as Manchester made her a little nostalgic, but no doubt she will tell you all about her drunk and stoned student days.  She was like a kid in a toy shop not having been for so long.  I hope she posts a pic of her outside that pub which name I have fogotten.

Neither Mark nor Helen were really sure what to expect from tonight's music but my usual badgering got them to come along.  It was a magical night for me except for the fact I could barely move after the Thai food we had (a bit of a change from the usual Italian).  We substituted food for support acts and arrived in time for The Crimea.
Crimea kicked off their set with "Baby Boom" one of my favourites, the lyrics make me smile.  
You can call me Fred Flintstone
Tarzan King of the Jungle
I guess I was a little prehistoric pumpkin
At your place this afternoon
I guess you just weren't interested
In getting drunk and trying to start a baby boom

Davey McManus has such a sweet voice and he is quite animated on stage and his songwriting is a little different to be polite but every single song is catchy and very much out of the ordinary.

Other songs that I also love is "Losing my hair", "Girl Just Died" even though I find the lyrics a tad disturbing, its an instantly likeable song.  And of course out on single realease on Monday is "White Russian Galaxy" and indeed "......who knows what goes on in her pretty little head..." 

Came back out with an encore which included a brilliant cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Everywhere".  Davey's voice brought a whole new dimension to this song.  Outstanding!  They finished the set off with previous single "Lottery Winners on Acid" and got everyone singing and dancing.

First time I have seen Helen buy a T-shirt for a band, I think she kind of enjoyed it.  She also got some great shots tonight and I am sure she will share them with us all soon (I can't wait).  Got some autographs afterwards and a piccie with Owen what a small sweetie pie!

Road home was very exciting with MP3 player being on random and every second song being a Billy Joel one.  Sad thing is I knew all of them, well it certainly makes a change to Helen's usual "Finn-related" music whether in the form of Crowded House, Split Enz, The Finn Brothers or Betchadupa.

It was a very unusual and enjoying evening.......roll on 30th April so Kate can join the adventure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment