Sunday 30 April 2006

Newsum Turn supporting Your Vegas and other unimportant bands @ The Loft, Cambridge - 29 Apr 06



Tonight's gig was touch and go for a while as I have not been feeling the best today, but I knew that if I stayed at home I would feel better later and then kick myself for not going.  Mark offering to drive helped too as I am not sure that I would have been able.

Down the A1 we went to Cambridge to a venue neither of us had been before, but I was kind of excited already at this point in time.  Did not take us long to find the place and parking was not too bad either.

The Loft is quite a quirky little venue with church pews to sit on and the lowest long stage I have ever seen, with a pillar in the middle of the stage.  Anyway no sign of any bands as we arrived and my worst fears were that I had missed Newsum Turn.

First couple of bands did not float my boat at all especially not the 2nd one, who had a frontman I wanted to smack several times.  He was that full of himself but I am not gonna rant about that now....

It was now time for Newsum Turn and Mark and I made our way to the front to absorb the entire atmosphere.  They opened the set with "Broken" and that is a really catchy song with shades of Snow Patrol the more I hear it.  They sang a few more I recognised from their Myspace player a beautiful song called "Take a Bow" which Luke dedicated to a couple that really ought to have got themselves a room as they were snogging the faces off each other all the way through the set.  Then of course they had to sing "Beautiful Mile" which is one of the songs I like most.  The band excecuted every single song to perfection and I was transported into Newsum world for entire set.

Got to mention though the new song and what I think should definately be the first single "See you there".  This is a beautiful song that works on many levels and I loved the way the song starts off slowly and builds up in to this huge anthem.  I had goosebumps from beginning to end.

Newsum Turn are in my opinion destined for great things as these 5 lads are musically so professional and certainly seem to be most passionate about what they do.

Luke, Neal, Andy, Alistair and Chris thank for brilliant night's music!

They were followed by band called Your Vegas whom I also enjoyed, I remember thinking they were somebody else, until about the 3rd song.  To begin with I was disappointed but Your Vegas' sound was very pleasant to the ears.  I don't remember names of any songs but I thought that one or two reminded me of some of the "rockier" coldplay stuff.  One to see again.

We had some nice banter outside with the Newsum Turn boys and nearly got a whole load of Van pictures but luckily we decided to pose in front of the venue instead. 

Loving this pic....the kind of look on Mark's face that he is thinking "I don't want to be near any of this!" lol

In this one I am not sure what Andy is looking?  Neal looks like a rabbit caught in headlights.  Luke is posing and Alistair looks like he has a guilty secret. Also it looks like Chris is about to lift his leg over Andy's shoulder!

Check them out, you know you want to....

PS:  Almost forgot to mention the freakily drunk Tom Wardle look alike, we just just had to take a pic!

No comments:

Post a Comment